Search This Blog

Friday, February 14, 2014

MIKEL UP FOR THE CUP: John Mikel Obi says the squad retains its hunger for FA Cup....



John Mikel Obi says the squad retains its hunger for FA Cup success despite lifting it four times in the last seven years.

The Nigerian has each of those winner's medals at home but is eager to add to them in 2014, with Saturday's trip to Manchester City standing between us and a quarter-final place.
'The FA Cup is still very important. It's always been important to Chelsea, and it doesn't matter how many times you've won it,' Mikel said. 'I've won it four times, so there's a good tradition, and having missed out in the League Cup already, we want to get back to Wembley this year. If we can get past Manchester City we are only one game away from another semi-final.
'This is a different game from last week when we won in the Premier League. It's a different competition and we need a different mentality. I am sure Manchester City will be thinking the same.
'We lost to City in last season's semi-final at Wembley, it was a difficult day. We didn't start well, we let them get right on top of us, so on Saturday we have to make sure we don't let it happen again.'
Meanwhile, David Luiz has praised the work of two of Mikel's midfield team-mates after their performances caught the eye.
Serbian Matic was man of the match in last week's 1-0 win at the Etihad, and has impressed since returning to Chelsea last month following a two-and-a-half-year stay with Benfica, while Willian's performances have seen him cement a place in Jose Mourinho's favoured starting 11.
'Willian is my friend from childhood, from the age of eight, and it's a great gift from God to be able to play together now,' said David Luiz. 'I'm so happy for him because, with every day, he is improving and showing everybody the talent he has.
'He's a player who works hard every day and wants to improve. He's one of the key players in the team right now. He's a great guy, I know his family and I know the atmosphere in which he likes to live, he has a fantastic heart.
'I've also been very impressed with Nemanja and I know how he likes to play because he learned from the same philosophy as I did at Benfica. He's a fantastic player - that's why he came back to the club.
'He gives us different qualities in the middle of the pitch; he's strong, he fights for the ball and he has a fantastic left foot. He's another great player in our team and that makes me happy, I don't mind if I play by his side, behind him or even in front of him.'
Matic has himself explained how much he is feeling at home back in the surrounds of SW6.
'I'm very happy and I think I can improve a lot here,' he said. 'Every game is difficult and in every game you have to be fully concentrated. It's a good opportunity for me to show my quality.'
Another man in form is Eden Hazard, whose hat-trick saw off the Magpies at the weekend, taking his goal tally for the season to 14. The Belgian believes experience is the key to his recent success.
'I work every day. I feel good on the pitch and have experience now,' the 23-year-old explained. 'Last season was my first, this is my second and I try every game to make the difference for the team.'
Goalkeeper Petr Cech reckons the sky is the limit for his diminutive team-mate.
'If Eden keep working and keeps his consistency, he can win the [Ballon d'Or]. I've said it already, I don't think it's a crazy statement with the quality he's got. It's up to him how well he is going to use his qualities week in, week out. I believe one day he can be there.'
Another vintage display against City this weekend is certain to keep everybody happy. The game kicks off at 5.15pmUK time as we look for a third victory of the season over Manuel Pellegrini's side.

No comments:

Post a Comment