Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2015

Gerrard: I Let Everyone Down

Liverpool Captain Steven Gerrard has apologized for his red card and insisted that he takes full responsibility for his actions.

The former England midfielder came on for teammate for Adam Lallana, after seeing his side trail 1-0 at half-time and within a minute of his arrival, he was shown a straight red for stamping on Ander Herrera.

Gerrard told the media after the game that he accepts full responsibility for Sunday’s result and believes that the referee made the right decision to send him off.

"I just need to accept it," the 34-year-old told Sky Sports.

"The decision was right. I've let my team-mates and manager down today and even more importantly I've let all the supporters down so I take full responsibility for my actions.

"I tried to jump his tackle and I've seen his studs and I've reacted wrong.

"I've been in the game long enough (to know what happens) when you do something like that and especially at the time of the game - after half-time with 45 to play - with a great opportunity to get back into the game, I take full responsibility for today's result."

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers revealed that Gerrard apologised to his teammates in the dressing room after the final whistle.

"Steven apologised to the players and me in the dressing room," Rodgers said.

"It was probably frustration, we didn't put a tackle in in the first half, but the players adjusted well."

After Sunday’s loss Liverpool find themselves five points behind their arch rivals in the Premier League.

Do you think Gerrard was to blame for the result at Anfield? Have your say in the comments section below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment